Thursday, August 11, 2005

Oh My God the Butterflies!


As I sit at work and try very hard to be interested in my co-workers chit chat, I am distracted by the butterflies in my stomach...

Thoughts of dust, blisters, sore feet, port-a-potties that turn into stench saunas in the scorching heat, mud-puddles, parking in a gravel pit with my precious VW Bug are running through my head.
Things that should make me cringe bring a smile, well no... more like a smirk to my face.

Over the last month a field with dilapidated buildings has begun to breathe with new life and energy. It has been waking slowly, with more and more frequent visitors, each bringing something different to these grounds. Some bring much needed repairs, others bring excitement and enthusiasm, some bring amazing creativity and some even bring fear and hate. But yet they come.

Saturday morning will start very early for me, and at this point I am wondering how much sleep I will get Friday night. I feel like a kid getting ready for summer camp. I can't wait to see all my old friends. I can't wait to see if there's new friendships to be made. I am not packed, I don't have all of my props ready yet, I need to make last minute repairs on my costume...
OH GOD THE BUTTERFLIES!!!

I have cried out there, I have laughed so hard I thought I was going to pee my pants, I have drank way too much and switched clothes with someone and then pretended we were each other (made sense half of a liter into ginger brandy), I have made people laugh, made children believe in faeries, made them believe they could be great artists, I met my very best friends out there, I have fallen in love, into hate, and back out again. I have watched in awe at the amazing talents that are out there, I have sang songs and been held by them at the Irish Cottage, I have ran naked by the light of the moon confident and embarrassed all at the same time, I have smoked from the hooka!
OH GOD THE BUTTERFLIES!!

I don't know exactly what or when this place in the middle of nowhere actually found it's way into my blood, but it has taken it's hold and not let go. And with each heartbeat the memories, laughter, tears, frustration, excitement and love courses through my veins, calling me back each year.

OH MY GOD THE BUTTERFLIES!!!!

1 comment:

Fitz the Toad said...

I can totally see down your dress!