Monday, April 28, 2008

Fear



I'm wondering if I received a little extra helping of this emotion?

You see I think I've kept myself from doing things in my life because of fear.

Fear that I will screw it up for boo.
Fear that I will lose boo.
Fear that I am not good enough.
Fear that I will fail.

I have been given an opportunity on Wednesday to meet with someone to advance my career as a graphic artist, and guess what?

Yep, scared shit-less.

Scared that he's going to laugh me right out of his office in fact. You see it's not that I think I'm lacking in the talent department really... I mean I'm good, I win awards, but I still sometimes don't believe that I'm good, and for some reason I've just managed to fool the people I work with into believing that I'm worthy of the awards I've won.

I'm also feeling a little fear from the fact that I don't know flash or dreamweaver, and I've really only done print ads for YEARS... I'm talking boring, bang your head on your desk, shove 10lbs. of shit in a 2lb bag, L7 print ads... with an occasional "do whatever you want" thrown in. (which are the ones I usually win the awards for)....


ooooh...

but....

to even think about having that cage door opened..... will I have the guts to fly out? Or will I sit there afraid to fly?

I don't have my portfolio ready. Probably because I don't have the "right" stuff to put into it... just the boring print ads.....I know one thing for sure... if I don't change my thinking right this instant, I won't fly... I'll sit here.... I'll sit here until my brain turns to mush, my ass looks even more like my chair every day, and boo and I never own our own home because I don't make enough money to do it, and her dad can continue to call us up saying he's going to cut the child support and throw me into that "Oh fuck, how are we going to make it now" mode...

Get off your ass Nix, it's time to move.

4 comments:

Butch Roy said...

you go get 'em
then leave the side door unlocked for me.
they won't know what hit 'em

Anonymous said...

Good Luck hun. I know things will go fantastic for you

Peggy Larson said...

Good luck!! You'll be great...totally great...great great great, just fabulous, really, amazing, they're going to be floored, it's going to be just.,.just..wow, you'll be great...I just know it...yeah, totally.

sybildiscontent said...

sometimes the thing we desire the most is the thing we're most afraid of.

you know you kick ass, you know damned well you're good enough to work for whomever you would chose to work with.

Regardless of the faith your friends have in you, make sure you have faith in yourself.

And yes- you totally ARE worth it.

Love you. LUCK!